More information available at:
- PCV 13 included at 2, 4 and 12 months old (for children born after 1 January 2015)
- Tdap vaccination recommended during pregnancy in all ages between 20 to 36 weeks of gestation
- 9-valent. Two-dose schedule at 0 and 6 months. Applicable to boys born from 2009.
MAJOR HISTORICAL CHANGES
Jan.2017: laucnh of the 2017 national vaccination programme. see modifications at http://www.dgs.pt/?ci=923&ur=1&newsletter=374
2017: recommended only to specific risk-groups. previously universal vaccination
Measles, mumps and rubella:
1973-77: Vaccination campaign with measles monovalent vaccine to 1-4 years old children.
1974: Measles monovalent vaccine introduced in the national childhood vaccination programme and recommended at 12 to 24 months of age.
1987: Combined measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR) introduced in the national childhood vaccination programme and recommended at 15 months of age.
1990: Second MMR dose added and recommended at 11-13 years of age.
2000: Recommended age for second MMR lowered to 5-6 years of age.
2012: First dose lowered to 12 months of age
2008: 27 October. HPV vaccination introduced in national vaccination schedule for 13-year-old girls.
2009: January. HPV vaccination catch-up campaign lasting till 2011, for 17-year old girls.
2012: routine vaccination at 13 years.
2014: HPV schedule changed to 2 doses at 10-13 years old (since oct 2014)
2017: HPV nonavalent introduced as a 2 doses schedule for females at age 10
2020: vaccination extended to boys born from 2009
2012: one dose at 12 months instead of a 3-dose schedule
2020: introduced as a 3-dose schedule for children born from 2019
2015: PCV 13 included at 2, 4 and 12 months old (since jul 2015)
Td: Adult booster
2017: Vaccination at 25, 45 and 65 years of age and thereafter every 10 years
TdaP: Vaccination during pregnancy
2017: to be given at each pregnancy between gestation week 20 to 36.
Vaccination for specific at-risk groups:
- Rotavirus vaccination is recommended for children with some chronic conditions
- Tetravalent Men vaccination is recommended for selected groups
- Hep A vaccination is recommended for selected groups.
- PCV and PPSV23 for adults (>=18 years old) with certain chronic conditions (https://www.dgs.pt/directrizes-da-dgs/normas-e-circulares-normativas/norma-n-0112015-de-23062015-pdf.aspx)
Date of last update: 7 Oct. 2022